Why has my veterinarian prescribed this medicine?
Allopurinol is used in the treatment of urate stones (calculi, uroliths) affecting the urinary system. Your veterinarian may also prescribe a special diet and medication to change the pH of the urine.
Allopurinol is not available as a veterinary preparation, but veterinarians can prescribe it.
How does this medicine work?
Allopurinol inhibits the enzyme xanthine oxidase and therefore the formation of uric acid from purines.
How do I give this medication?
- Give this medication to your pet as directed by your veterinarian. Give the medication after meals.
- READ THE LABEL CAREFULLY.
- Try to give this medication at about the same time(s) each day.
- DO NOT give the pet more medicine than directed and DO NOT give the medicine more often than directed.
- Try not to miss giving any doses.
- DO NOT discontinue the medication without first checking with your veterinarian. Contact your veterinarian in advance if your pet needs a repeat prescription.
What if I miss giving a dose?
Give the dose as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with the regular schedule. Do not give your pet two doses at once.
How do I store this medicine?
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Store this medicine in a cool, dry place below 25°C. Store away from heat and direct sunlight.
Potential side effects
- Side effects have been reported including skin rash and lethargy. Notify your veterinarian if these side effects occur.
- Your veterinarian may need to monitor your pet's blood to check kidney function.
- Other side effects may occur. If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
Possible drug interactions
- Tell your veterinarian what other medication you are giving to your pet.
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.
This client information sheet is based on material written by:
© Copyright 2015 LifeLearn Inc. Used and/or modified with permission under license.